Wednesday 26 March 2008

Day One

So the first post on this blog will be about something that came in the mail today from the IRS (actually my mom sent it on to me because the IRS doesn't know where I am yet--ha!): my Economic Stimulus Payment Notice.

What I want to know is, how is sending everybody a few hundred dollars going to stimulate the U.S. economy? Or anyone's economy? Well, it'll be enough to buy a new iPhone, or perhaps it'll cover two weeks' worth of a mortgage payment for some people. Yay. Now, what was that pesky U.S. deficit up to? Oh yeah: $9 trillion, according to these authors.

But, silly me, of course I know why this was done: Bush is hoping to leave office on a high note. Unbelievable. What an insult to the 4,000 servicepeople he sent to die since mailing out $300 checks the first time, in the summer of 2001. I should rip mine up as protest, instead of spending it all on beer and sandals like I did seven years ago.

Anyway, just to say, the tax deadline in the U.S. is less than three weeks away. Here's hoping you all have your W2s and 1099s already, and a reminder that the forms are downloadable from the IRS's handy-dandy web page.

No comments: